OLD CITY SIGHTSEEING + SOCIAL EVENT IN LAZARETI
On Wednesday afternoon for all ESHA 2023 participants there will be organised Old City sightseeing and joint gathering in the famous Lazareti venue.
Lazareti in Dubrovnik, also called lazarettos, is a long and narrow building consisting of 10 naves (parallel, narrow halls, similar to church halls) separated by five courtyards, all surrounded by high walls. The building was completed in 1647 and served as a quarantine station (isolation hospital) during an outbreak of plague and cholera.
Lazareti is located next to the Ploce Gate and was built between 1627 and 1647. Its location is significant: it is located in front of the main entrance to the city, on the road from nearby Trebinje, from where all the caravans from the Ottoman territories came to the city at that time, and right next to the Old Port, the main harbor of the city. Just outside the city, this was an ideal location for such a facility – merchants, sailors, and travelers had to undergo mandatory isolation before they were allowed to enter the city (40 days quarantine).
The historical complex “Lazareti” in Dubrovnik was recently fully restored and equipped with modern facilities.
Now, this impressive 5000 m2 complex houses a multi-purpose space ideal for exhibitions, conferences, simultaneous meetings or events, as well as gala dinners. As a backdrop, it is often used for entertainment and concerts.
No other venue in Dubrovnik offers such versatility, so close to the Old Town and so ideal for multi-purpose meetings & events as the newly opened Lazareti. From here you also have a beautiful view of the old harbor, Lokrum Island, part of the city walls, and St. John’s Fortress.
In July 1377, the Grand Council of the Republic of Ragusa decided to prohibit people from the plague-stricken areas from entering Dubrovnik. Instead, they were sent to isolation on the islands of Mrkan and Bobara, and Supetar (near Cavtat) for a month.
Later, the additional quarantine isolation hospital was placed in the building where the monastery and church of St. Mary (Our Lady of Danče) is located today in Danče Bay, just outside the city walls. However, this building proved to be insufficient, and in 1534 the Great Council attempted to build another quarantine building, this time on the island of Lokrum. However, it was neither completed nor used.
Due to the constant increase in trade and commerce, the Republic struggled for a long time to find a suitable quarantine solution.
The building complex in Ploce was regularly maintained with public funds throughout the Republic period. According to the archives, the last major works on this complex of buildings of extraordinary economic and strategic importance were carried out in 1784. The quarantine was abolished in 1872.